Miller, Stuart D. (Deceased)
Doug was born on October 3, 1950, in Louisville, Kentucky, where he grew up with his parents and one brother. He received his BS degree in zoology in 1972 at the Auburn University and an MS degree in wildlife biology in 1974 from Colorado State University. His master’s thesis was entitled Environmental Effects of Bitterbrush Production. Doug received a PhD degree in wildlife biology in 1979 from Auburn University with a dissertation entitled Ecology of the Bobcat in South Alabama. After graduation from Auburn he worked from 1979 to 1981 at North Carolina State University as a research associate, a visiting instructor, and then a visiting assistant professor in the Department of Zoology. In 1981, Doug became an assistant unit leader of the Massachusetts Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit of the US Fish and Wildlife Service at the University of Massachusetts. In October of 1981, Doug became director of the Institute for Wildlife Research of the National Wildlife Federation, Washington, D.C., but he continued as an adjunct assistant professor for the graduate faculty of the University of Massachusetts. In 1983, Doug became vice president for the wildlife research and program development department of the Federation and served in this position until 1989 when he transferred to Alaska to become regional executive and director of the Federation’s Alaska Natural Resource Center in Anchorage. He served in this position until his premature death of brain cancer on December 12, 1992, at his home in Anchorage. Doug and his wife, Nora Lucas Miller, had two daughters, Meredith Lynn and Emily Allison Miller. Doug was an active member of many organizations including The Wildlife Society, International Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, American Society of Mammalogists, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Doug was selected as member of the Sigma Xi and Xi Sigma Pi honor societies and had received several other honors during his regrettably short career. Doug was elected to the Washington Biologists’ Field Club in 1984.