Benedict, James E. (Deceased)
James was born on February 4, 1885, in Washington, D.C., and attended Central High School where he was an all-city football player. In 1906, he graduated from the Biltmore Forestry School in North Carolina. He ran a commercial seed-testing laboratory from 1913 to 1963 at 945 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. (site acquired in 1963 for the FBI Building). He collected plant specimens in the local area and in the southeast. During the 1930s and 1940s he taught botany at George Washington University and conducted an annual students’ hike through Rock Creek Park. James was elected to the Washington Biologists’ Field Club in 1934, served as president from 1942 to 1945, and was active until his death on September 3, 1969, which occurred during surgery at the age of 84.